NEWS; Tokio Hotel: “Being an adult is relative” – Interview

Welt.de: “Being an adult is relative”
NEWS; Tokio Hotel: Being an adult is relative - Interview

Children, time flies by: The Teen Stars from Tokio Hotel are almost twenty. Bill and Tom Kaulitz talk of crashes, with 15, their luck, to go shopping theirselves, and why they prefer to talk to Grandma’s.

“Bill Kaulitz never leaves the house unvarnished,” says the woman from the record company. The time in the mask must therefore always be calculated at appointments. And when the petite young man stands in front of you, you get a slight idea of how much time he needs for his appearance.

Among the perfectly coiffed black and blond dreadlocks, a composition of a black and white line graces his eyelids, and his suitably painted nails. The hands in leather gloves have difficulty to arrange the mass of chains that are attached to his black shirt.

His twin Tom is sitting next to him, on a couch in a hotel room with pink painted walls. He fancies himself as a street rocker with a leather jacket and braided hair. Not less expensive, but not as striking. Two ordinary guys in pop-star attire.

WamS: Bill, Tom, both your birthdays are on September 1st, what do you desire?

Bill: I want to be together with my family, see my friends and drink coffee. I love coffee, I drink gallons of it. And I’d like a round of coffee with cream pies. And it would be great if everyone would be older than 60. Thus, a real coffee party.

Tom: Coversations with old people result in coversations that are completely off the beaten track. They have quite different thoughts. This would be great, every Sunday a coffee-party

WamS: Do you have any material desires?

Bill Kaulitz: I don’t.

WamS: A new car, maybe?

Tom Kaulitz: I think, that there’s no one who would give me something physical as a present. But sure, I would be happy about a new car.

WamS: You’re turning 20. Are you an adult?

Bill Kaulitz: I think I’ll never grow up. But growing up is relative. I already thought when I was 13 that I can do whatever I want. Go into Clubs and drink alcohol – I always felt older than I really am.

WamS: Via distance learning you finished secondary school and got awarded for a particularly good performance.

Bill: This is almost embarrassing, right?

WamS: A little bit.

Bill: Tom and I hated going to school. That was the worst time in our lives. I feel sorry for everyone who goes to school.

WamS: What was so bad about it?

Tom: Most of all we were scandalized because of our appearance in the school. But I think that the worst of all is, that the personality of each individual get’s totally suppressed in school.

Bill: Tom and I got transferred into two different classes for disciplinary reasons in 7th Grade. We were really rebellious children, and almost got expelled from school. But not because of drugs or fights. But because of discussions, which the teachers simply weren’t up to. And then you realize that pedagogy comes much too short in teacher education. A lot of people simply slip into the study because they see no other way. But if you want to be a teacher, you really have to want it and you have to have the passion for this job.

WamS: A lot of your fans take you as their role model. Are there any values that you want to convey?

Tom: We really don’t think of ourselves as role models.

WamS: But you exemplify it a little bit. Are you aware of this?

Tom: No, very often not. You have to free yourself of this. We have very limited free space anyway. I don’t want to suddenly pay attention to not use swear words in interviews.

WamS: But you, for example, supported an Anti-AIDS campaign.

Tom: Of course, sometimes we try to stand up for things which we think are important. But in the end: I hate this “Role-Model-Position” (Cmmt: Like, people always taking them as an example, pointing the fingers at them etc.). I don’t want to turn into something like this.

WamS: Will you vote?

Tom: Uhm, yes. Let’s see.

Bill: Then, in any case, the first time.

WamS: What’s the percentage of normalcy in your life?

Bill: 1%.

WamS: Is it the same as with the international stars, that you can’t even go shopping?

Tom: Yes, absolutely. When we started making music, we were at an age where our parents bought everything for us – now we’re at an age where we need to do this by ourselves but we can’t.

Bill: It sounds kind of cool to have a personal assistant, who get’s you everything you want. But I would also like to choose my yogurt by myself.

Tom: In the U.S., there are also supermarkets, which are open 24 hours a day. You can go down there at four in the night, when nobody else is there. We once walked into the toy department, and bought everything. Guns with arrows or remote-controlled cars.

Bill: And then we shot off the cars with the arrows. Totally ridiculous.

WamS: And how do you buy your clothes?

Bill: Usually trough the Internet or from catalogs. Totally Boring. But sometimes you have to jump over your own shadow. Fuck it, if photographers and fans are outside the door. Sometimes you have to go out, you need this little piece of normalcy to live.

WamS: What’s on your catering wish list?

Bill: Actually, every year there’s a new one. And I must admit that it’s pretty long. But we are at home so seldom, that we always try to make it as comfy as possible. The most important things are coffee and real blankets in the hotels. These wool-blankets are the worst. Because they make you feel like you’re at a camp. That is what is most important to me, a real blanket and pillow.

WamS: Do you still have normal friendships from the past?

Bill: Only (from the past). In the Tokio Hotel time we didn’t get to know any new friends because we can’t even really get to know each other. Everyone who meets us, already has an opinion about us.

WamS: Are you extra-cautious with getting in touch with new people because you have often been deceived?

Tom: Yes, most of the times from hidden-editors. We had had extreme experiences at the beginning of our career. At 15 we were at every after-show party and we have, of course, been drinking alcohol. Back then, it was like this: You drank a sip of alcohol, and then the next day the editors called the Youth Welfare Office who wanted to call off the project (Cmmt: With the Project they mean their career as Tokio Hotel) completely.

WamS: But you probably get coached in how to deal with such situations.

Tom: No, we never did. And I do not even want someone who tells me how I should respond to the questions.

Bill: You have to learn this by yourself, by bolting into such a situation and then living with the fact that sometimes also bad things are written about you in the newspapers.

WamS: Do you get psychological support for such cases?

Tom: Our family and friends are our psychological support. I could imagine getting professional help, but there’s the problem with the time again.

Bill: I can understand, when people do that. The problem is, I don’t believe in it.

Tom: I also always think I’m smarter than the psychologist himself.

Bill: Exactly. Everything I tell you, I tell you deliberately, because it’s my problem. And then the psychologist would say: Yes, you need to take some time to think about it. And then I think to myself: Great, I also knew this before.

Source; Welt.de

Comment by Mel
2009-08-30 06:02:11

Lmao at the end. Bill “the psychologist would say: Yes, you need to take some time to think about it. And then I think to myself: Great, I also knew this before.” that’s funny
nice interview

Comment by kaulitz_lover
2009-08-30 16:47:37

i no 😛 but very true. they dnt rlllly help at all 😐 they jus tell u wat u alrdy knew,. 😐

2009-08-30 20:22:29

I don’t believe in psychologists, either. I don’t like the idea of it. I don’t care how many degrees the so-called doctor has. They’re still just complete strangers trying to tell someone else how to live. Besides, you ultimately have to help yourself.

Comment by Nel
2009-09-01 03:24:49

I’ve always wanted to be a psychologist,but never wanted to visit one.
It sounds unnatural to me ,going to someone i dont know and probably never met and wanting an advice for my fucking problems.

Comment by Kori
2009-09-01 06:57:41

Ha!! ich weiss!! I went to one and she just said uh huh and how does that make you feel and all that shit…. It was fucking retarded…. waste of meinen money!!!! XD

Comment by Natali
2009-08-30 06:48:50

lol this is is a great interview…i cant believe bill and tom are going to be 20…
bill loves coffee!! SO DO I BILL!!!!!!!! WE HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON!!!!!!

Comment by Frudility
2009-08-30 06:55:26

Hey ,
we have something in common too x)
daaammnn ,
starbucks coffee ^^
and
daamnn Bill *drools* lol !

Comment by Dilyara Kaulitz
2009-08-30 09:15:48

I love coffee too!

Comment by kaulitz_lover
2009-08-30 16:47:59

rofl, yay, same! ^^

Comment by Nel
2009-09-01 03:25:39

STARBUCKS!STARBUCKS!

Comment by 7sins
2009-08-30 07:25:15

i love cofee too.., but ma fav one is black wit a splash of milk…, i love latte too… 🙂

Comment by 7sins
2009-08-30 07:23:04

wow.., agree wit ya guys – really nice interview….,

Bil: “Fuck it, if photographers and fans are outside the door. Sometimes you have to go out, you need this little piece of normalcy to live.” – c’mon bill, don’t curse!!! ma lil naughty boy…., 😀

Comment by kaulitz_lover
2009-08-30 16:48:30

rofll
haha, thats bill for ya, i guess =p at times… ;p

2009-08-30 20:29:15

I love his bluntness. I was applauding him for that one.

Comment by Nikki luvth
2009-08-31 05:47:02

if they were talking english in this interveiw then i soo want to see the video, i think ive only every heard bill swear once and that was when he said “Im sorry our english is f*cking bad”

Comment by Anon
2009-08-30 09:12:40

Wow. Really great interview. It’s been some time that I’ve read such a personal interview about the twins. They’ve really matured. You can tell that they think a lot about life and the best way to live it.

Comment by Dilyara Kaulitz
2009-08-30 09:16:32

Such a good interview!!! They’re so grown up!!! I can’t believe they’re going to be 20!

Comment by kaulitz_lover
2009-08-30 16:49:16

i no! like, in a way, i total;ly miss them being teenagers, & almost everything will probably change about them now… so i will miss that, but thats just life…. :\

Comment by Dilyara Kaulitz
2009-08-31 10:26:00

Yes change is hard but it works out for the better

Comment by penpey3
2009-08-30 09:51:27

ahh i love that they still sware in interviews lol i dont no y i just think it like “yup im me ” really gr8 interview i can prob relate to most things exept u no the whole stardonia things but yeah gr8 interview
what i wouldnt give for a cream cake lol

Comment by noussa
2009-08-30 10:37:38

nice interview
but they’re paying the cost of fame, that’s the way it is

Comment by stace
2009-08-30 11:29:05

aww, I loved the interview.
I feel kinda bad though, they seem so stressed-_-

Comment by BillyZiTaZh89TH
2009-08-30 18:57:28

Yeah =/..

Comment by amber
2009-08-30 11:33:35

im almost 18 and i already do what i want,i drink coffee like fuckin crazy thats y i cant sit down lol,and yeah im fuckin wild!i get in trouble alot!im always a kid no matter what and i dont take life seriously!

Comment by amber
2009-08-30 11:34:30

guys that r 18-25 hit on me! damn im lucky!hahaha!

2009-08-30 13:30:45

The description at the begining is so detailed 😀

Comment by Vy
2009-08-30 15:46:12

Bill: And then we shot off the cars with the arrows. Totally ridiculous. < thats so ADORABLEEEEE 😀

2009-08-30 20:26:04

I think I should do my grocery shopping at 4 in the morning now, lol. I went shopping in the middle of the night before. It’s nice because the place is all peaceful and deserted.

Comment by kaulitz_lover
2009-08-30 16:50:41

they’r almost 20… already! im actully gonna miss my crazy tokiohotel boys. i’ll miss wen they were teens & stuff, but i guess thats just life. they’r becoming more,,, mature, i guess, & im jus curious if they’ll change completly… or not….

Comment by Kori
2009-08-30 17:14:44

I really do think that the twins want to live a ordianary life, one that doesnt have the glitz and glam of the music industry shineing in your faces every 5 seconds. They’ve gotten mature and realized that they probaby can’t live normal lives again. And i love love the fact that Tom has turned in his manwhore-ish ways. He desrves a girl that really loves him and not for his sex. He just needs to slow down and look around for a genuine girl 🙂

Comment by Nikki luvth
2009-08-31 06:04:38

i think thats the problem with going into the music bissnis so young, you cant have a proper normal life without being medaorized.

im really glad that they swar(like its a good thing?)in interviews because it just meant that they can kinda express themselves and show how they are feeling. Imagen if you where like one of the jonass bros on miley cyrus or any other disney star, you wouldnt be able to just say “shit!” even if you were on the street, trying to be normal-ish because there might be paperazzi and then next thing tou know your in the papers with the headline “Disney star has cursing fit” on top of your photo, and then with all your little kid (6-9) fans being told by their parent that your a bad influence, imagen the pressure!!!!i would much rather be bill!

Comment by Kori
2009-08-31 09:51:06

Ha. Ja, like with miley cyrus and the stripperpole XD Gustav danced on a table and didn’t get repremanded for it. If miley were to do that she would have headlines screaming “MILEY CYRUS DOES A TABLE DANCE!” in her face. They dont have to worry about it though because they’re not the biggesgt role models that kids want these days… God i sound old…. but anyways, they dont have as much pressure to be the most perfect human beings in the world 🙂

Comment by rayzerTH
2009-08-30 18:12:05

now i feel like a doche, i’m studying psychology :S oh well, i still love it, and i guess most people impression of a psychologist isnt a good one thanks to hollywood and some books, but it isnt really like that though, its more than just hearing ppl’s problems. if only the world can see it the way i do. i still love them both and coffee too 😉

2009-08-30 20:40:27

After reading this interview, all I can say is me and Bill were MEANT for each. Okay, maybe that’s pushin’ it. But yeah, I would love to have a real conversation with him. Oh, if only it were possible. XD

Comment by Bella
2009-08-30 21:44:33

AMEN! People in my school talk about me just because of my appearance! They say I’m emo just because of my hair and the music I listen to -_-!I agree with them school is the WORST! Thanks God I only have 3 years left :D!
xD

Comment by Ella
2009-08-31 07:27:49

Omg, I totally agree! Last year me and my bestfriend were called emo, because of our hair and because we like Tokio Hotel, that freaking lame. -.- After a couple of months I had enough it, and the next person who told me emo could start digging his or her own death, so they stopped calling me emo, but countinued to call my bestfriend for emo.. -.-
But this year, no one does. :p

Comment by Kori
2009-08-31 09:58:35

Lol… iknow… It sucks…i just got called emo and them got made fun of for liking tokio hotel. mir egal though. people need to ficken get lives andstop thinking their better than everyone else….

Comment by vanessa
2009-08-30 23:46:29

Ugh, you got that right! I only have to suffer 3 more years also, BIll only you understand our pain! ;)I love how highly he thinks of himself.:)

Comment by Nikki luvth
2009-08-31 06:09:04

AGGRED!! but unlike you guys i have 5 years left of school and ppl think im wired because i like tokio hotel and not twilight

Comment by Kori
2009-08-31 09:56:55

THANK GOD! somebody else is over the ficken the twilight scheisse!! it sucks….. but was immer people need to grow up and realize vampires aren’t real…. BUT BILL UND TOM KAULITZ ARE!!!

2009-08-31 14:28:25

TH is my first love, but I like Twilight too. I’m well aware that vampires don’t exist, but they’re hot in the fictional world. My friend asked me who would I rather, Bill or Carlisle Cullen. I picked Bill, hands down! He’s like the perfect guy to me, and he actually exists.

Comment by Kori
2009-09-01 06:44:54

Lol ja, although i would rather Tom, Vampires might seem like the most pefect thing in the world, but, sorry to break it to you guys, but THEIR FAKE!! unlike TH, (Also meinen 1st liebe) they EXCIST! I’m out of the stupid twilight crap now but was immer

Comment by Sammi
2009-08-31 00:16:48

i feel bad that they cant go out in public and if they do there r cameras following them

Comment by madde
2009-08-31 13:36:30

yeah, but sometimes maybe psychologists help you to help yourself ? If that makes any sence ? like , guidelines and gives you advise from other perspective than your own. i dont now :O 😛
I´m swedish so sorry ya’ll englishspeaking thinkin WTF im trying to say 😛

Comment by madde
2009-08-31 14:11:15

yeah, but maybe psychologists can help you to help yourself ? If that makes any sence? like guidelines,and maybe see things in different perspectives than your own,then its up to you to decide, but what do i know 😛
just a thought.
Sorry if you guys thinkin WTF im talking about , im swedish with really bad english. hehe 😛

Comment by DANIELLE
2009-08-31 17:19:50

wOw! Great interview I agree ;-)) And does anybody know other 20 yr old artists who’s idea of a perfect BD party is spending it with 60 yr olds??? They are sooo different from other artists…So mature and profound but at the same time so childishly fresh and free ! I love you guys and I wish you the best coffee party on earth ;-)))

Comment by Kaylin
2009-08-31 19:38:06

It’s really sad that they don’t have time for new friends or that people would lie to be there friends. When i was younger i used to think being famous would be amazing but now it just seems suckish. Not knowing who’s a friend because of you or your money.

But it’s also sad that they (not just them) aren’t able to/don’t take the time to find friends who aren’t in it for fame, because they seem like really nice people.

p.s. WOOT!! GO COFFEE!!! Do dumb things faster and with more energy!!!

Comment by Nel
2009-09-01 03:26:37

BILL wants a roof in his room?Wow,weird 😀
nice interview however..