NEWS; Tokio Hotel Interview – A music mix Q&A

A pair of twins who only just turned twenty are leading Germany’s latest musical blitzkrieg. Bill and Tom Kaulitz are half of the emo-pop foursome Tokio Hotel and with the release of their second U.S. album Humanoid this October, the European superstars seem poised to finally break into America’s mainstream.

NEWS; Tokio Hotel Interview - A music mix Q&A

Why is this group of Hot Topic Deutschlanders leagues ahead of the competition? Maybe it’s lead singer Bill Kaulitz’s thick Robert Smith makeup and Mad Max Punk fashion aesthetic. Or does the combination of twin brothers (and self-described soul mates) in a band truly make for emo magic?

We talked to them about guitarist Tom’s secret hip-hop recordings(!), Bill’s Twilight obsession, and why they named their band after a city they’ve never even been to.

Entertainment Weekly: Did you ever think you would end up so successful so quickly?

Bill Kaulitz: No, we never, ever expected that. We came from a small village and there is no music business there. We never expected it—it was a lot of happy and lucky moments for us, and we are totally happy that we got the chance to do all this. There was never a plan behind it. We just did our thing and try to be good.

EW: Does your success change the way you approach writing music? Do you ever go into the studio thinking, “I should I try to write a hit”?

BK: We try to push the pressure away. It’s not good in the studio if you think, “Oh, I have to write a hit like Monsoon or something.” You just go ahead and write your thoughts down. Just try to do things you love and I think then it’s always good. If you like what you do then it’s fine.

EW: Tom, I hear you’re into hip-hop—would you ever try to incorporate that into your sound?

Tom Kaulitz: Sometimes—we have a home studio—sometimes I secretly put down some beats, some guitar beats and stuff like that, but I never tried that in our music. And I’m not a really good rapper, so I never tried that. Maybe one day, maybe in ten years or something, but for now, no, that’s not the plan.

EW: When you perform in English it sounds quite natural, but do you have to think about each syllable as you sing?

BK: In the beginning, for the first English record it was really hard for me because I’m a perfectionist and I really wanted it to sound natural and not like a German who tries to sing in English. So it took some time in the studio but now it’s totally fine for me. It was like the beginning of Tokio Hotel. Ten years ago we started with that—we started with English and German songs—but the English ones were so bad. It was not good English, kind of embarrassing. But now I get really use to it. If I’m onstage, it’s totally my song.

EW: You also have very distinctive looks. Are there any fashion influences you look to?

BK: I don’t think so. I never had a role model or something. But as a kid I loved all the vampire movies, so that might be an influence.

EW: Are you enjoying the vampire popularity with Twilight and everything?

BK: Yeah, I really love this movie. Everyone was talking about it, and I was very late. I didn’t know about the movie, and then everyone is like, “you have to see it, you have to see it,” and I was like, “okay, okay.” Then I was on the flight to L.A. and I saw the movie on the plane and it’s really, really good.

EW: Being brothers, especially twins, does that make touring and recording easier, or do you ever find yourselves competing?

TK: I think it’s both maybe, but it’s completely normal for us to be together. We always have the same friends, we always have the same interests in everything. We’re just, you know, together 24 hours, everything a day.

BK: And I can’t—we can’t—live without each other. We are always together. We are like one person and like soul mates. We don’t have to talk.

TK: But if we fight, it’s a really tough fight. We take everything we find, like a table and a chair and everything. We fight.

BK: But it’s not that often, most of the time we are totally like one person.

EW: Is there anything you haven’t accomplished as a band that you’d love to?

TK: Uh, yeah, we want to play Tokyo.

BK: We’ve never been in Tokyo so far, so that’s one thing. And we want to play a world tour, that’s kind of a dream for us.

EW: So what’s with your love of Tokyo if you haven’t been there, what does it mean to you?

BK: I think we just heard about it and it’s like a huge city and of course it’s a cool sound: ‘Tokyo” sounds so cool. So that was the main reason why we chose it.

Source; Music Mix Ew

Comment by Vampira89
2009-09-12 05:45:44

tokio hotel… what if they were Hawaii hotel? Singapore Hotel? America Hotel? Philippine Hotel? China Hotel? Korea Hotel? 😛

2009-09-12 15:24:33

Um, not so much. “Tokio Hotel” is perfect. They should go there someday. That would be so epic. ^_^

Comment by bianca
2009-09-12 15:41:44

i go every year id be excited to c them their

Comment by MeghanLeigh!
2009-09-12 20:54:21

I really loved the books before the obession started. It was really awesome back then, but now I think its a bit petty. I am proud to say that I believe I was one of the FIRST members of the “Twilight Hoes” club.

Except the movie sucked balls and I think Bill would like the books wayyyyyyyyyy better!

Comment by Nel
2009-09-14 04:17:40

Pekin Motel |:D

Comment by Vy
2009-09-13 00:00:09

Comment by luvth
2009-09-12 06:09:23

ohhh no bill twilight? ugg! im sorry but i really hate twilight

Comment by Vampira89
2009-09-12 06:21:58

me too.
The name alone makes me think that it’s another boring ass movie.. :/

Comment by luvth
2009-09-12 06:35:29

yer onec i attemted to read the book.. yer i read half of the blurb and got sick of it…but i am hopless at reading…no i will not blame my self its al the books fault!

2009-09-12 13:14:21

Amen. I hete the movie.
Worst movie.

Comment by laiila
2009-09-12 18:55:26

what!!? twilight is the worst movie??
oh god am i the only one who loves that movie here? =P

Comment by rayzerTH
2009-09-12 23:44:47

no laiila ur not the only one, i liked it alot too, but i didnt like it just becuz of the actors the movie and story line was really cool, ppl just have to look beyond the mainstream and appreciate the art and meaning behind it all.. :Dthe books were well written too.

Comment by Vampira89
2009-09-13 00:54:08

perhaps the book is okay, but i really dont like the movie though… i dont know, when i read a book it takes me to places I IMAGINE of and the movie however, turns 180 from what i have in mind… just like harry potter.

people read the book because of the exciting story lines, but people watch the movie (most of the time) because of the cute actors and actresses. I went to watch certain movie and all i can hear after the movie ended is how awesome daniel is or how gorgeous emma is… blah. and i thought they laughed because of the joke, it’s just the look.

Comment by Nel
2009-09-14 04:20:17

I like the book and i was really in the movie,and um…i love Bella (h)

Comment by Deja H
2009-09-12 13:59:40

I also hate Twilight. Its overrated.

Comment by Nel
2009-09-14 04:23:22

some pppl say the same for th 😀

Comment by Youko k.
2009-09-12 07:49:08

Oh yeah, world tour !! They should start promoting tokio hotel in asia !

Comment by nkk
2009-09-12 07:53:30

can u get this in stores? like..the mag, i think u can?

Comment by LoveTH
2009-09-12 09:02:01

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo not ANOTHER twilight sucker!!! (no pun intended)

I hate the film! I mean fair enough I liked the books but the film sucks and the acting is S***

I am disappointed in you Bill *shakes head*

Comment by anonymous k
2009-09-12 10:25:36

he probably never read the books 🙁 if he did, he would see how much better they are and how awful the movie sucked! The acting was grossly monotone 😛 just like my old technology teacher (*shudder*)…….NOT GOOD!!!!

Comment by laiila
2009-09-12 18:57:14

i ddnt read the book and i actually like the movie!
my friend who read the book says that the film sux too she says very big difference 0_o

Comment by Vy
2009-09-12 12:45:37

lolll well if i could, id give him my twilight books because over a year b4 the twilight movie was even though of , i already read twilight so i guess im a “original” fan of the saga..but anywho, i think bill prob likes the story line because thats the only reason why some people liked the movie..i also hated kristens acting

2009-09-12 15:46:01

Bill has read the books, and I’m sure he prefers them over the movie. I like ’em both, but I prefer the books. I have to agree with you about Kristen, though. But her monotone acting might come in handy for New Moon since Bella’s gonna be all numb and depressed.

Comment by Vy
2009-09-12 16:21:41

yeahhh, i think new moon will be a better movie for her style acting

Comment by laiila
2009-09-12 18:58:29

i dnt like her anyway if she acted good or bad but i like the story of twilight i think its cool!

Comment by Nel
2009-09-14 04:25:43

same with me ..and after hearing he listens to kings of leon..
such a hollywood crap 😀

Comment by Wannaby Bill's Girl ♥
2009-09-12 10:18:37

I got Twilight and i like it 🙂 LMAO maybe im just a sucker (lmfao) for vampires!

Comment by Sarah
2009-09-12 10:19:26

What did you expected? Bill+Vampires= Love
Is it me or Bill have a great interest in bring blue clothes.

Comment by Sarah
2009-09-12 10:21:09

Now, they are emo-pop!!! What kind of music category this is???

Comment by Vy
2009-09-12 12:46:54

no clue…i consider tokio hotel alternative because they dont fit ONE genre, especially in their new album..they go from disco sounds “dogs unleashed” to slow ballads like “world behind my wall”

Comment by kathy
2009-09-12 11:14:24

Awesome Bill likes Twilight too!!! i read the book..i thought it was better than the movie..i loved the movie too tho!!! tehe <33333333

Comment by taraX3tokiohotel
2009-09-12 11:16:41

lmao yay bill loves twilight!! <3 haha so cute<3

Comment by GAILL :D
2009-09-12 12:21:33

i can so see bill liking twilight,even though the movie was absolute rubbish.lolz

2009-09-12 13:15:43

Yea, Can you get this magazine ?
I vant it.

Comment by Madde
2009-09-12 14:04:02

I like the books but the film is not that good!
I loved the movie before I had read books but now, no, definitely not like the movie! If he likes vampires, he should see “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel” He may have already seen them, what do I know :/

(sorry my bad english)

2009-09-12 15:28:23

I always knew Bill had a little vampire in him. And he was down with the vamps before the craze even began. I already knew he was a Twilight fan because he admitted it to Ryan Seacrest. The movie’s really not that bad, but the books are a lot better. It’s just that some of the psycho fans give the rest of us a bad name. But that can be said for TH fans, too. XD

Comment by laiila
2009-09-12 19:00:19

i like the movie since i ddnt read the book…
u know when i was watchin twilight the firt thing i thought about that bill should played rob’s part xD thehe

2009-09-12 21:33:09

I read it and I actually like the movie, too. There are major differences between the movie and the book, though. And when I was reading Twilight, I found myself fantasizing about Bill. >_< Lmao!

Comment by Kora
2009-09-12 15:35:55

Ugh I hate the twilight movie, Bill’s just following the crowd like everybody else on this. And then thing about “emo-pop foursome” annoys me. That isn’t a compliment to them at all.

Nevertheless, this is a cute interview.

Comment by MrsxBillxKaulitz
2009-09-12 19:53:32

Yeah. I know what you mean. I consider them “Punk-Rock”.
But I love them no matter what anyone says XD

Comment by MrsxBillxKaulitz
2009-09-12 19:51:30

Oh crap. I hate Twilight. But I still love Bill unconditionally ^^

Comment by michelle
2009-09-12 22:04:53

i hope Bill was just going along with the interview and lied about liking Twilight:/

2009-09-13 09:40:55

Aw. I didn’t know Bill liked Twilight. That’s amazing. I LOVE Twilight. The books though. The movie was ehh. In the beginning, it says, Bills “Robert Smith makeup”. Which is funny because, when I first started liking TH, my mom say a picture of Bill on a CD I had and made that comment that he kind of reminded her of Robert Smith. Which is deffinitly a compliment because she loves The Cure :] // I love this Interview :]

Comment by Nel
2009-09-14 04:27:43

The picture is just *drops dead* the one that makes you thrillers,and the interview is cute <333